Book Review: Pick Up the Damn Phone
I just read Joanne Black’s latest book, Pick Up The Damn Phone -How People, Not Technology, Seal The Deal. This is a great book for salespeople wondering how much effort to put into social media. It describes how to balance social media activities with traditional selling activities like phone calls and meetings. As America’s leading authority on referral selling, Joanne knows the importance of personal relationships and real-time conversations. In this follow-up to her best –selling book, No More Cold Calling, she interviews over 50 sales experts and cites research and articles related to the topic. Some of the featured experts include:
- Barry Trailer, Managing Partner of CSO Insights
- Ralf VonSosen, Head of Marketing for LinkedIn Sales Solutions
- Jill Rowley, Social Business Evangelist at Oracle
- Jill Konrath, author of Selling To Big Companies and Snap Selling
- Matt Heinz , President of Heinz Marketing
- Susan Roanne, author of the best-selling book How To Work A Room
- “Yours truly” talking about social prospecting and content sharing
As a former VP of Sales turned Social Selling speaker/trainer, I agree with Joanne that the key to successful selling today is to be able to use the modern tools and techniques without abandoning offline communications. It’s not an either/or situation. Offline and online both have benefits.
My favorite two chapters cover the opposing perspectives that Sales and Marketing professionals have about Lead Generation. Regardless of which department you are in, you’ll get a chuckle over how clueless the other department is and you’ll be infuriated over what they think about your views.
If you’d like to get a free excerpt from P.U.T.D.P, click here.
If you’d like a chance to win an autographed copy for free, then just Follow my LinkedIn Company Page. I will pick a random winner from the subscribers in February to receive an autographed copy from Joanne.