Branded Journalism Newsroom Style at Cisco
Kirsten Chiala is Digital Content Manager, Social Media Communications at Cisco. She is leading her team to tell Cisco’s story to reach and engage their B2B audience through a newsroom-style branded journalism strategy. You’ll discover how The Network at Cisco features thought leadership content, as well as creative content such as a graphic novel featuring superheroes like SuperSmart and Dr. Analog, a serial magazine, 6-second Vine videos, and other fresh content on relevant technology topics.
Cisco is a global leader in the hardware, software and services that are used to create the Internet solutions that make networks possible. An employer of more than 70,000 people, Cisco has a plethora of angles from which to tell their story. How will you apply their creative content strategies in your business?
On This Episode You’ll Discover:
- That Kirsten is an Emmy Award winning Executive Producer at NBC News in San Fransisco.
- How Kirsten transitioned from television news coverage at NBC to storytelling at Cisco, a Fortune 500 company.
- How The Network is Cisco’s newsroom style content hub which publishes thought leadership content as well as technology focused content.
- How Kirsten says brand journalism is talking more about what’s trending, not just about your brand.
Brand journalism is like being next to a cool person at a party… don’t always talk about yourself, talk about what’s trending.
- How Cisco updates The Network five days a week with new stories written by their team of journalists.
- The make up of the content team at Cisco’s The Network and how they decide what to cover.
- Why Kirsten insists on the need for a content team to have an editorial calendar, and how agility comes into play with trending topics.
- How Cisco plans out their serial content months in advance and what types of serial content they produce through their FOCUS digital magazine.
- How Cisco is using videos, graphics and text content to portray their innovative DNA to their audience.
- How Cisco’s Vine campaign #ImagineCisco consists of short stories about how technology is evolving.
- How you can incorporate Periscope into your content strategy and how employees can be storytellers with proper guidance.
- How their graphic novel, SuperSmart in The Case of the Smartest Cities, is one of Cisco’s best performing content assets.
- How Cisco created a blog around a trending hashtag #ILookLikeAnEngineer by requesting employees to tag their photos with this hashtag.
- What Kirsten’s team considers when targeting their B2B audience and how the content is optimized for each social channel.
- How Kirsten’s team created a trailer for #DetectedMovie into snackable pieces of content for people to understand the technology.
- How Kirsten recommends looking to the various tools available to do storytelling for your brand.
- Why your content team should ask for content from other teams outside of marketing.
- How Cisco takes their big rock content and creates blogs, infographics, interviews, etc., around it to reach more people.
- Why Kirsten’s one thing is to be innovative and take risks that will empower your brand to stand out.
Featured On This Episode:
- Kirsten Chiala on Twitter and LinkedIn
- Cisco on Twitter
- Cisco’s Newsroom The Network and the Detected Movie website
- Cisco’s documentary trailer #DetectedMovie
- Cisco’s graphic novel, SuperSmart in The Case of the Smartest Cities
- Download Social Business Journal, Volume 5: The Community Playbook
- Subscribe to the Social Business Engine show
- Write a review of this podcast in iTunes
- Bernie Borges on Twitter: @bernieborges
- Social Business Engine on Twitter: @sbengine
- Social Business Engine video channel | YouTube channel
- Social Business Engine website
- Learn more about Content Marketing
There are TWO WAYS you can listen to this podcast with Kirsten Chiala from Cisco.
P.S. Don’t miss next week’s podcast episode with Chad Pollitt, Co-Founder and V.P. of Audience at Relevance!
Subscribe to our podcast to stay current on new episodes delivered to your inbox every Friday!