Dominate Your Sales Territory Online with Social Selling
Tim Hughes is recognized around the globe as a social selling pioneer and innovator. A repeat guest on the Social Business Engine podcast, Tim is a best-selling author, a speaker, and co-founder of Digital Leadership Associates. He and co-founder Adam Gray provide training and coaching on social selling at Digital Leadership Associates.
On this episode, we discuss highlights from Tim’s new and best-selling book: Social Selling – Techniques to Influence Buyers and Changemakers. Tim reveals how salespeople can own their territories online, and the types of content they can create to be a part of their buyer’s research.
On this episode you’ll discover:
- Tim has been in sales for 27 years with experience in enterprise B2B sales; his biggest deal was over $50,000,000!
- Seven years ago Tim got involved in social media and then started to focus on social selling.
- Tim’s new book, co-written with Matt Reynolds, is a playbook on how to use social media in sales.
- Tim is a big believer in the book, The Challenger Sale…He’s always been good at building relationships online.
- Buyers are conducting research online and don’t want to talk with a salesperson. They only need 20% of the information from the salesperson, providing the salesperson with less opportunity to influence the sale.
- The buyer’s research starts with Google and asking around their networks. Salespeople need to be in those networks to influence the buyer’s research.
- Social selling is a strategy – aka a change in behavior. Adopting a social selling strategy doesn’t mean you stop using the phone.
“Social selling is a strategy and a change in behavior.” @timothy_hughes #sbeshowTweet This
- Tim recommends organizational change since social is a transformational project across sales, marketing, and HR.
- Start with a pilot and consider employing a bottom-up approach if your boss doesn’t understand social.
- For the first few years, Tim suggests having a social community manager to enable salespeople to build their influence.
- Tim recognizes the criticism of the viability of social selling and focuses on leads and pipeline when measuring for success.
- Tim boldly projects an increase of 20% to 25% in revenue for companies that implement social selling with guidance from Digital Leadership Associates.
- Tim and his team at Digital Leadership Associates have an ROI tool to show what a social selling strategy can do for a company before getting started.
- Your LinkedIn profile must be an inbound asset and your competitive advantage.
Tim shares what a changemaker is
Featured On This Episode:
- Tim Hughes on Twitter and LinkedIn
- Tim’s best-selling book: Social Selling – Techniques to Influence Buyers and Changemakers
- Join our Social Business Engine community
- Write a review of this podcast in iTunes
- Social Business Engine on Twitter: @bernieborges
- Vengreso YouTube Channel | YouTube channel
There are TWO WAYS you can listen to this podcast with Timothy Hughes
Find out more about our social selling program.
P.S. Our next podcast guest is a surprise. Subscribe to our podcast to stay current on new episodes delivered to your inbox every Friday!