How the Marines are Recruiting Talent with Social Media
In this episode I’d like to introduce you to Dan Evans, the Social Marketing Director and Employee Advocacy Coordinator at the United States Marine Corps. Dan is responsible for developing and rolling out a comprehensive social media strategy for over 1,000 recruiters across the Western U.S. In addition to being a Marine, Dan is also an entrepreneur, a fellow podcaster, and most importantly a husband and father of three.
Unanswered phone calls have caused an evolution in the recruitment strategy at the Marine Corps. With the goal of acquiring new talent, the Marines are now telling their story on social media. Tune into episode 67 to discover how Dan is pioneering the new recruiter training program using mobile and social media.
On This Episode You’ll Discover:
- The initial challenges Dan faced using social media in the recruitment process.
- How Dan was put off by a lack of initial social media success.
- Why social media wasn’t as easy as Dan thought.
- How Dan came to the realization that republishing content from the national level on local pages wouldn’t garner the response he was looking for.
- How Dan uses social media to overcome the stigma associated with military recruiting.
- How talent acquisition is a key objective of the Marines’ social media use.
- How recognition and tagging on Facebook really kick-started Dan’s understanding of social media recruiting.
- Why engagement has greatly increased by including storytelling in the Marines’ social media strategy.
- Why Dan started to take photos at their events to post on social media.
- How sharing pictures of new recruits before and after boot camp is encouraging interaction on the regional USMC Facebook pages.
- There are 170 regional Facebook pages for the Marine Corps across the western United States.
- That Dan is spearheading the new training approach for recruiters at the USMC.
- What it takes to train USMC recruiters on social media.
- How Dan teaches recruiters to appropriately conduct themselves on social media.
- What is involved in the mobile approach Dan is using to train recruiters.
- Why the best photo posts are shared in the recruiter Facebook group.
- How visuals drive the social media strategy at the USMC.
- How the Marines use the hashtag #12MCD to track recruiters’ visuals.
- How the USMC measures their social media results by using tracked URLs.
- Dan’s one thing is related to empowering and trusting employees.
Featured On This Episode:
- Dan Evans’s website
- Dan’s podcast: The Military Entrepreneur Show
- Dan’s article: How The Marines Use Social Media to Procure 21st Century Warriors
- Write a review of this podcast in iTunes
- Bernie Borges on Twitter: @bernieborges
- Social Business Engine on Twitter: @bernieborges
- Vengreso YouTube Channel | YouTube channel
- Social Business Engine website
I invite you to listen to the entire podcast episode using the player at the top of this page, or on a mobile device through iTunes or Stitcher. Be sure to subscribe so you don’t miss a future episode.