The global pandemic that has stretched into its third year has seen not just a boom in digital sales but has ushered with it a change in how modern sellers can attract and engage with modern buyers.
Traditional “spray and pray” methods that once worked, no longer have the same success rate, which has forced sales leaders to employ a new set of selling techniques.
What exactly will work in 2022 for prospecting and building sales pipeline is the main topic of discussion I had with sales genius, Dan Tyre, in this episode of the Modern Selling Podcast.
Dan Tyre, Director at HubSpot is one of the leading inbound marketing and sales experts on the planet. As a member of the original team in May of 2007, Dan has led the recruiting, training, and growth of HubSpot’s sales team with vigor. Before HubSpot, Dan worked at four other startups of note: Businessland, as Area Director; ALI Technologies, as Founder & CEO; CelebraTech, as Co-Founder and VP of Sales; and Groove Networks, as Regional Manager.
At HubSpot, Dan has pioneered the concept of alignment between sales and marketing known as “Smarketing,” a core tenet of inbound marketing now followed by thousands of companies around the world. He’s been instrumental in the creation and growth of several sales teams that are now thriving hives of activity at HubSpot. Dan continues to inspire and teach HubSpotters as a sales trainer, as a creator of the HubSpot Leadership program, as a blogger on the HubSpot blog.
Dan’s infectious high energy, especially when he talks about ‘marketing’ is why I am so excited to welcome him as a guest on the Modern Selling Podcast.
Download the full episode and get a taste of Dan’s genius as he discusses the top sales strategies to use in 2022 to crush prospecting and better convert leads into loyal customers.
[click_to_tweet tweet=”The world of #selling has transformed since 2020, so for #modernsellers to be successful they need to master new #salestechniques💡 Learn more in this ep of @GoModernSelling w guest @dantyre @inboundorganization & host @M_3Jr 🎙️” quote=”The world of #selling has transformed since 2020, so for #modernsellers to be successful they need to master new #salestechniques💡 Learn more in this ep of @GoModernSelling w guest @dantyre @inboundorganization & host @M_3Jr 🎙️”]
How has Sales Changed Since 2020?
I’ve seen a rapid evolution, here at Vengreso, with more and more companies seeking out our digital sales training courses such as Modern Sales Mastery for Teams. However, I wanted to hear Dan’s insights and better understand the shifts he’s seen happening and what he anticipates to come next in the world of sales.
Dan shares, “I’ve read that over 1M sales jobs will disappear in the next 18 months. With the Great Resignation, the way that companies do business will have to change. Sales are no exception to this either. So, it’s a must now than ever before to know how to be a better salesperson in 2022.”
With my own sales teams, I’ve placed a heavy emphasis on making our sales calls, even if they are through Zoom, as interactive and engaging as possible. Modern buyers are much more sophisticated and skeptical than before, so finding ways to connect digitally with leads is critical to the success of the modern seller.
Dan agrees, “Today we have to contend with the empowered buyer. This is someone who has done their research before they ever talk to a salesperson. They’re going to know more about the basics of what they’re looking to buy than they’ve ever had before and salespeople have to be ready to field in-depth questions.”
Listen in to the conversation to hear what free sales resources Dan suggests that sales leaders have their teams complete to be successful in 2022.
[click_to_tweet tweet=”Traditional “spray and pray” methods no longer have the same #success rate, which has forced #salesleaders to employ a new set of #sellingtechniques. Learn more on this ep of @GoModernSelling 🔊 @dantyre @inboundorganization & @M_3Jr ” quote=”Traditional “spray and pray” methods no longer have the same #success rate, which has forced #salesleaders to employ a new set of #sellingtechniques. Learn more on this ep of @GoModernSelling 🔊 @dantyre @inboundorganization & @M_3Jr “]
How to Win with Inbound Sales
When it comes to finding data-driven ways to improve the sales process, Dan is the leading expert on what works and what will work well into the future.
So, I asked him to share his expertise and insights on how sales teams can master the inbound sales process.
Dan’s unique six characteristics of a winning sales process is something we all should study and look to implement as soon as possible:
- Treat people like human beings. According to Dan, the emphasis has to be on connecting with your prospect, instead of looking to pitch them to buy. Build rapport, to establish trust first and foremost.
- Look to help, not sell. As I always say, selling is the art of helping – and Dan agrees. As sales professionals, we have to look to provide a solution as opposed to selling a product or service.
- Focus beats bandwidth. Traditionally, sales teams would take a ‘spray and pray’ approach – going after volume in leads, instead of the quality of leads. Dan suggests honing in on one particular buyer persona and mastering selling to them first.
- Solve a problem. As with #2, when sales teams can offer solutions to their customers’ problems, then they’ll get much farther in their sales outreach attempts.
- Customer experience is the only sustainable advantage. Dan explains that the average company has 47 competitors in the marketplace. So chances are very good that someone offers the exact same service or product that you do. The difference for leads often comes down to the customer experience.
- Manage sales data. This is where the role of Revenue Operations is so important. To learn more about this and AI-driven sales enablement, check out my podcast with Howard Brown.
Dan provides a host of other tips and strategies you won’t want to miss. Tune into the full episode to hear his sales advice and what you should be doing now to stand out in your sales conversations.
[click_to_tweet tweet=”#Sales leaders, do you already know the best #strategies for #prospecting in the upcoming 2022?🤔 Listen to this ep of @GoModernSelling to learn from @dantyre of @inboundorganization & host @M_3Jr about this and much more 👂” quote=”#Sales leaders, do you already know the best #strategies for #prospecting in the upcoming 2022?🤔 Listen to this ep of @GoModernSelling to learn from @dantyre of @inboundorganization & host @M_3Jr about this and much more 👂”]
The Best Strategies for Prospecting in 2022
While we were on the discussion of what’s likely to work in the future, I wanted Dan to share his perspective on prospecting.
I know at Vengreso, over the past four years when we surveyed sales professionals, prospecting has continually been ranked as the hardest part of the sales cycle. In fact, out of 1,295 sales reps polled in November 2021, 69% of them said that prospecting was the most time-consuming step.
So, I was curious to hear Dan’s advice based on his 40+ years of sales experience. The guidance he shared is very similar to what I teach our new sales reps in their onboarding training.
Dan suggests that when prospecting, especially during cold calling to:
- Always stand up and smile – this helps you bring high energy and engagement to the call.
- Thank the prospect for answering the phone – how often are we thanked for picking up the phone? Dan says that this alone is a game-changer for sales reps.
- Introduce yourself and pause to hear their response – prospecting is your first chance to have a conversation with the hopes of building a relationship with your lead. There’s no better way to do this than to give your prospect plenty of opportunities to speak (without you launching into a full-blown sales pitch).
Be sure to download this episode of the Modern Selling Podcast to learn more about the Sales Flywheel and why it can be a key differentiator for your sales teams in 2022.