How to Charm the Skeptics to Embrace Social
Episode 61 of the Social Business Engine podcast features Alan Belniak, the Principal Social Media Manager at The MathWorks. Alan is a social media strategist and practitioner with years of tech experience that he used to his advantage when transitioning into a social media role. Tune in to our discussion to hear how Alan persuaded the skeptics into hiring him for a social media role with no social media experience, and how he has gone on to strategize social media marketing for multiple mid to large multi-national corporations.
On This Episode You’ll Discover:
- How Alan persuaded the skeptics (including his boss) to hire him when breaking into the world of social media.
- By creating live and online training sessions Alan addressed the common objections and questions regarding social media.
- That ranking your daily tasks and including social media will make it easier to add to your schedule.
- Alan’s experience in teaching salespeople to embrace social by informing them of social media’s prospecting abilities first.
- Two ways you may not know about to connect and follow prospects on LinkedIn.
- There aren’t instant conversions to becoming a social media whiz.
- When people start to understand social media, they tend to share tips with coworkers that have worked for them.
- How to convince the C-Suite to use social media by sharing success stories from other executive level professionals.
- How Alan transitioned to educating people about social media from a product manager.
- How Alan constructed a resource center/brain trust of eBooks, guides, articles, PDFs, etc. to encourage self education.
- How to get started creating a mentorship, educational, university like program on social media at your company.
- How using case studies to prove the worth of new social tactics can help influence the skeptics to at least let you run a pilot on a new idea.
- The need to find people who want to be social, and create employee advocates out of them with the proper training.
- Alan’s one thing he would change about business.
Featured On This Episode:
- Alan Belniak on Twitter, LinkedIn and Google+
- Alan’s website
- Alan’s eBook: Getting the Most out of LinkedIn
- The MathWorks website
- Social Business Journal, Volume 2: Influencer Marketing
- Write a review of this podcast in iTunes
- Bernie Borges on Twitter: @bernieborges
- Social Business Engine on Twitter: @sbengine
- Vengreso YouTube Channel | YouTube channel
- Social Business Engine website
I invite you to listen to the entire podcast episode using the player at the top of this page, or on a mobile device through iTunes or Stitcher. Be sure to subscribe so you don’t miss a future episode.
This episode is sponsored by Cision, the leading provider of public relations software for planning, executing and measuring influencer campaigns in one integrated platform.