Why Customer Experience is the New Marketing
On episode 64 of the Social Business Engine podcast I am joined by Dan Gingiss, Head of Digital Customer Experience and Social Media at Discover Card. Dan was a speaker at Social Media Marketing World where we first met, and in fact is a frequent speaker at social media conferences around the country.
On this episode Dan and I discuss how “customer experience is the new marketing.” The strong customer service culture at Discover shines through in their social media activity, as well as the experience the customer receives when using their website.
On This Episode You’ll Discover:
- Why Dan says customer experience is the new marketing.
Customer experience is the new marketing. – Dan GingissTweet this
- Why customer experience is so important in modern business.
- How the customer experience benefits you in financial ways.
- There are direct impacts to your business when providing a good customer experience.
- In order for someone to share about your company you must exceed their expectations because people don’t share an average experience.
- Discover leverages digital in the context of the overall customer experience.
- Discover keeps their website simple in order to limit distractions and to allow for ease of use.
- You should be available to the customer on the channel of their choice.
- To understand visitor behavior Discover monitors what users are doing on their website, and what they are saying through on-site feedback.
- Discover asks their users for feedback on their site.
- How Discover’s television advertising campaigns and the digital experience are integrated.
- Discover is the only credit card company with 100% U.S. based customer service.
- Why you must have a great product or service, great marketing skills, and a strong customer service culture before tackling social media.
- How Discover differentiates itself from other credit card companies by providing the best customer service possible.
- The strategy Discover uses to humanize their brand in social media.
- Discover’s “first tweet resolution” is about answering a question in a timely manner, on the first tweet with a focus on resolution to the question.
- With first tweet resolution there is increased engagement with the customer.
- Discover responds to all social media mentions, whether positive or negative.
- How Discover handled a negative situation on social media and turned the engagement into a new customer.
- Dan’s “one thing” is related to, you guessed it, the customer experience! Dan wants to see businesses use journey-mapping to understand the front-to-end customer experience.
Featured On This Episode:
- Dan Gingiss on Twitter and LinkedIn
- Discover’s website
- Discover on Twitter and Facebook
- Write a review of this podcast in iTunes
- Bernie Borges on Twitter: @bernieborges
- Social Business Engine on Twitter: @bernieborges
- Vengreso YouTube Channel | YouTube channel
- Social Business Engine website
- Learn more about Social Customer Service
I invite you to listen to the entire podcast episode using the player at the top of this page, or on a mobile device through iTunes or Stitcher. Be sure to subscribe so you don’t miss a future episode.